Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 1: London Calling - Of Stansted Airport, The Tube, The Big Bus, London Eye, River Cruise

WARNING: THIS IS AN IMAGE-HEAVY POST.

First, let me start off by stating that this was an impromptu trip, everything was planned only 2 weeks prior to our departure flight.
Okay, now on to the winter adventure!


We arrived at Stansted Airport roughly around 6am local time on 29 January 2011, after 13 hours being cramped up in AirAsia economy seat. Nothing much I can say except that the airport is kinda empty that early in the morning, save for the few officials on duty, and most of the fellow passengers still appeared to be sleep-walking. After collecting our 2 huge luggage bags after almost 30 minutes of waiting, we passed immigration without any difficulty. Then we went in the direction of the Stansted Express platform, where we boarded the train to London. The sudden transition from toasty warmth of the flight to the freezing cold of London hit me hard.  I underestimated the London cold. I wore bootcut jeans, 2 layers of light T-shirts, a long jacket on top of it, a pair of Pallas slip-ons from Kuala Lumpur, thinking it wouldn't be that cold. I arrived at the train platform with teeth CHATTERING like mad! I remember feeling so regretful I did not wear my skinny jeans. The cold was bitingly terrible. The soft fluffy mittens my mom bought back home did not work to help keeping me warm (note to self: must remember to use leather gloves next time). It was so damn cold, man.


When we bought the train tickets (£11 if I remember correctly) to London Liverpool Street Station, the train was scheduled to arrive 5 minutes later, and it did. Gladly we entered the coach and sat down with our hands under our bums. The coaches were mostly empty, with few passengers. In the next seats were an Indian couple and a Chinese guy. I don't know why, but everywhere I go, I will definitely bump into other travelling Malaysians. At first it was awkward, but then the guys and my mom started talking about what we were doing in London. The Indian guy was to sit for a law exam there, and the Chinese guy (who later tagged along with us around London for the whole day) was only stopping by London for the day as he had a business conference in Paris the next day.

No matter how many times I tried, my mom's Nikon D90 just wouldn't capture the upper half of the scrolling LED text!
That's my mom, and some train guy selling hot drinks.
I'd soon cursed bringing that backpack on a walking trip.
Fellow Malaysians.
After disembarking, we took the Tube (akin to Malaysia's LRT) to King's Cross, where we were to meet up with Pika coming from Leicester. We decided to meet up at the local Burger King and have breakfast before checking in to the hotel and explore London. When Pika arrived, we jumped in joy and sort of teared up, heh. I didn't even care that their pancakes weren't ready yet (the burgers there are non-halal), so we just had a cup of steaming hot Lipton tea. The Chinese guy had the whole meal set going on - burger, fries, drink. No pictures at this time either, because Pika was with us! :D

That's King's Cross in the background (right), and St. Pancras (left).
Fighting the cold, all smiles.

Then we went on the underground Tube to board the Big Bus at London Victoria Station. I can't really recall how much the tube tickets were, because we didn't get the Oyster card (not sure if foreigners could purchase the card) and we kept buying the tickets each time we wanted to go some place. The inside was very clean and looked quite new and 'fresh', albeit a bit tight for movement. And the doors close fast on you. If you are a second late to realize it's your stop and begin to rush for the door, don't bother. Please stay put in your seat. You wouldn't be able to beat the door to make it onto the platform! *I'm serious here* The doors close fast and HARD. Our LRT's are much gentler and slower-closing if you are unlucky enough to get  stuck in between.

*peace* *how the heck did that lady there brave the cold in pantyhose?!*
I was showing off the cute button-y design of the mittens (hence the 'peace' sign), but I guess it's not that visible in pictures -_-'. In retrospect, I just noticed that we were occupying the priority seats reserved for those in need, sobs. But back then, there were definitely no pregnant ladies, people with child or elderly in the coach! *phew such a long caption*

At London Victoria Station, looking for the Big Bus.
The funny, talkative, friendly conductor? (the guy selling the tickets)
Waiting for the Big Bus somewhere else. Apparently, we had to walk a short distance to get to the stand where the Big Bus will pass by. And it was bloody windy at this time.
It was the stand for two rival companies that operate sight-seeing bus tours. We went on the Big Bus one. We had to wait for almost half an hour for the bus to come, when in fact two buses from the other rival company had passed by :(
Happy that we finally got to board the warm bus (well, at least less cold than the outside).
Stole the head-wrap thingy from Pika (actually she gave it to me, because I was bordering on being a non-functional tourist i.e. non-responsive, due to the cold).
Can you see the buttons now? Yes?

 Almost frozen

 Faking a smile

 Can you tell?

 One of the few stops to switch lines

The ultra-long escalator going up (and down)

 :)

 The coach was quite small compared to Malaysian LRT, and to think Londoners are taller than Malaysians!

 at London Eye! Didn't go on it 'tho, too many people queuing up for it..







 Floating in mid-air!

 Krispy Kreme original glazed donuts, breakfast-cum-lunch of the day, lol.

Elvis came back from the dead and busked by the Thames river?

Going to the boat cruise. The river cruise was included in the package when we bought the Big Bus tour

 ON the boat cruise

My mom is such a talented rookie photographer. Spot Big Ben!

See the redness of my face?






The guide

One of the buidlings we saw along the cruise

Magnificent design!

Not London Bridge!

After we got off the boat


 I didn't care I looked like a mad woman, I only cared on surviving the cold


 at Edward I's fortress


 So lonesome


 Deserted street

 :)

Going back to the B&B

And if you noticed, I didn't comment much on the pictures towards the end. Lol.

Basically, that was it. After London Eye and the River Cruise, we had to go back to our B&B, because:
1) Mom was developing a severe cramp in her calves, due to the cold.
2) The Chinese Guy had to leave for Paris at 4pm. He had a conference to attend, so he only had 1 day for sightseeing in London.
3) I was hungry. And my back was hurting from carrying that damn backpack. And I was shivering too damn much to function well as a tourist (I later learned that the temperature of that day was close to a freakin' ZERO degree Celsius!)

Lucky we had Pika. After arriving at the B&B, Pika went out again to get hotpacks at Boots and some food and stuffs at M&S for us, haha. That girl was like a local, braving the cold!
We basically slept the whole night through (and then some), and only continued exploring London  the next morning at 11am!

Our room was somewhat okay, clean + basic, enough for budget travelers. Below street level, GREAT location - just 2 minutes away from King's Cross & St. Pancras International station on foot. 3 single beds with really thick comforters, 1 shower + toilet (with sink just outside the toilet), 1 dresser, 1 TV on top of it. Quite tight space, but the hot water's there, so we didn't actually die from having to endure icy cold shower in the morning.
I didn't really shower in the evening. Too cold, lol.

Stairs leading down to our room was very cramped. Had a hard time lugging our luggage up and down the stairs, but still achievable with some patience and determination.

Breakfast is provided in the morning, in the kitchen. I guess some toasts and eggs and jams and the likes. were provided. Didn't try it 'tho, because we figured it'd be easier to grab ours while sightseeing.

Howard Winchester Hotel
9 Argyle Square 
London WC1H 8AS 
England

Will continue with Day 2 when I have the time :)

'Til then!

2 comments:

MomoN said...

ahhh.. wanna go there again!!

DN said...

@hazimah
Wuuu, me too! ^^