*puts on headphone, Switchfoot playlist on loop*
I'm one of the few people who are not really a Switchfoot fan, per se. Sure, I like Stars, Meant To Live and their other songs that received quite extensive air play on the local radio stations, but I don't really buy their records etc. I admit I don't really memorize ALL the lines in their songs, but I do know good music when I listen to it. Switchfoot does come up with pretty great songs with catchy hooks and inspiring lyrics. I've always known this fact, but I didn't fully realize their ability to rock a live show!
To sum up simply, my first rock concert ever, was with Switchfoot, and it was PHENOMENAL.
First, the organization of the concert by Jupiter Projects. Parking was a breeze at Dewan Mutiara, Jalan Ipoh (RM2 parking fee for the almost 5-hour concert, parked at B2, concert hall was on Level 4). I arrived at 6pm. Us concert goers had to wait in the non-airconditioned cramped waiting area just outside the small hall, all squashed together, sweat, smell and all. There was a nice mix of girls and boys in the crowd, most of which were dressed in tees and jeans and sneakers. No proper visible signage to indicate where holders of Intimate/Rock Out/Chill Out zone tickets should line up to enter the hall. We were just one big lump of sweaty human mess. I was somewhere near the black Macbeth wall there.
The sound system was kinda okay (it should be at least nice, seeing how the organizer only opened the gates to the concert hall close to 9pm because Switchfoot and the opening act, Bus Company a.k.a Busco were having soundcheck for a looong time). But since it was a hall, the cement walls and pillars kinda made the overall sound just.. not that great? Dunno. All I'm sayin' is, it could have been better. While waiting, the crowd started to chant 'Switchfoot, Switchfoot, Switchfoot' (repeat), and lines from Dare You To Move:
Everyone's here
Everyone's here
Everybody's watching you now
Everybody waits for you now
What happens next?
What happens next?
I dare you to move
I dare you to move
Apt, yes? :)
![]() |
| Picture credit to Hot Magazine |
Lousy concert wrist tags too (only color-coded, without any prints saying it's a Switchfoot concert, which could be kept as a concert memorabilia for the sentimental ones). The concert 'tickets', oh yeah. Don't get me started on that one. I think most of us came with printed paper slips with barcode, instead of regular concert tickets with the concert details and the band's name on. Cheapskate? Probably. Lousy? Definitely.
Busco put up a good show for the crowd (call me ignorant, but I've never heard of them before this), albeit we were kinda impatient for Switchfoot to come out by the second number haha, but they held their own. They played quite a number of interesting songs that made me note to check them out later (which I did). Samuel, the frontman has a kinda-boyish tone of voice that somehow fits well with the songs Busco lashed out on stage.
Then came out Switchfoot.
Oh, did they come out with a bang.
Jon Foreman wore a printed white T-shirt, and as appropriate in all rock concerts, it is soaked throughout the show lol. He came out all pumped up for the show, and oh boy did the band rock. Switchfoot played a total of 17 songs, including 2 for encore.
1. The Sound2. Stars3. Gone4. Your Love Is A Song5. Free6. Always7. Awakening8. Meant To Live9. Mess Of Me10. Learning To Breathe11. This Is Home12. Needle And Haystack Life13. Hello Hurricane14. Only Hope15. Dare You To MoveEncore:1. We Are One Tonight2. The Shadow Proves The Sunshine
I only recorded my faves, which include Stars, Meant To Live and some few others. My snaps were decent, if not SLR-grade, will update later with the pictures.
Jon even said 'Aku cinta padamu' to the hyped-up crowd, and we obviously went wild with that small effort to connect with us! I'm no music extraordinaire, but the instrument play by the members was awesome, for lack of a better word.
I just remember I did a lot of jumping, stopping for a while only whenever I remembered I had a lot of jumping to do for the next songs. I got a spot about 15 feet from the stage, and it was in the middle so you could say it was a great spot. There was this one reaaally tall cute guy in a red T-shirt, he was in front of me, jumping too, and I lost count how many times he almost crushed my feet.
I was jumping up and down having such a good time, I almost didn't realize my gold necklace came undone. Luckily, the digital camera pouch I stashed in my jeans pocket didn't budge at all and stayed put where it should be throughout the whole concert. One time (more than once actually) when Jon came very, very close to the audience and held out his hand, the whole lot of us in Intimate zone rushed forward to touch his hand. My body was brought along forward with the crowd, heh. And sometime during the concert, Jon did say they were glad they saved the best for last - KL :)
| Screengrabs from their respective twitter profiles |
So, that's about it.
All I can say is, I'm glad I decided to go and purchased the most expensive ticket to the concert.
It was definitely well worth the moolah I spent. It was such an awesome way to spend close to 2 hours of my Labour Day weekend!
I part you with my tips below on how to enjoy a rock concert.
Dinie's tips to enjoy a rock concert:
1. SplurgeIf you love the band, shell out for the most expensive ticket up for sale. If you have to borrow from your mom/pop, do it. You can always save up and repay back what you borrowed, but you can't get the band to come again every year. The experience will be worth it, trust me. Plus, you're supporting the band!
2. Go simplyForget your handbag with your make-up pouch and your thick long wallet etc. Bring only your personal IDs, some cash, your concert ticket and nothing else. Stash them in the pockets of your pants. No hats/caps please - we pay to watch the band, not your fluffy wide brim winter hat with ribbons tied around it - messy hair or not (I really hope that girl reads this). Okay, and a digital camera if you can get away with it at the security check AND if you wanna record videos for memories. Unless you're one of the invited media, no DSLR please. So impossible to hold the thing steady to get a decent shot while everybody around you is jumping.
3. Ditch the heelsAny sort of footwear with any sort of heels, thick or thin, high or low, is not appropriate for a concert where you'll do a lot of jumping. You might sprain your ankle(s), and you might send the person standing behind you screaming in agony when you (accidentally) step on his/her foot. Be considerate and rational.
4. Arrive extra earlyThis is to score the sweet spot, if possible right in front of the stage, where you'll get to graze the hand of the hot frontman. And if a cameraman decides to film the crowd.
5. EnjoyYou are there to enjoy yourself, so enjoy. Jump as people jump. Chant as people chant. Sing as people sing. It's not every year that your favorite band goes on tour and your part of the world is one of the stops, right?
Have anymore to add? Do leave it in the comments section :)

1 comment:
EPIC!
Post a Comment