I was motivated to blog something about this relationship issue after reading Victoria's post recently.
She talked about being dumped (or 'pre-dumped' as Victoria called it) when nothing is actually certain yet. You know that feeling? Yes? No?
I know.
So, there was this guy I met through my dad (yes you read that right). They were mountain-climbing buddies (I'd use the word buddies lightly here), my dad ended up joining his group when they went on a climbing excursion to Mount Kinabalu sometime ago. With the help of an uncle (the guy's friend is a friend of the uncle's), he came to my family's Raya open house. After much cajoling from the uncle, aunties and mom and elder brother (it's a family affair), I made the first move, I said 'Hi' to him first. He replied with a smile (he kinda looked like Kris Allen of American Idol fame), and I was hooked. We talked a bit. Found out bits and pieces about him (engineer, youngest child, drives to work, loves traveling) and before he went back, we exchanged phone numbers. That night, I texted him first, and he replied. And soon it progressed from 'Salam, hi. Thanks for coming to my open house today' to 'Selamat malam S, talk to you later tomorrow :)'
This went on for a few months, everything was going well-ish. We were talking, texting somewhat back-and-forth whenever we were free at work, at home, in between meals etc. I added him on Facebook first, and he accepted my friend request. If you ask me, I would know everything about his travel pictures (an avid traveler he is), how he likes to pose in the pictures (kinda the same pose in almost all pictures) and how I think his Facebook nickname is kinda childish. He's not much of Facebook person, so his Wall would appear devoid of activities. We only communicated via texts and the occasional phone calls. He was such a nice guy, and he was so angelic and perfect if compared to the previous guy. When I was down with dengue fever, he came to visit in the hospital. And he was unfazed with my bloated, puffy face (or so I would like to think). And I was willing to overlook his 50%-mastery of the English language (yes I admit I'm that shallow, but it's my prerogative). We were building up good momentum.
Then, suddenly, it happened. The beginning of the end. After a few months, the constant flow of texts ceased to a trickle. I would only get a reply if I texted him. No more good-mornings, mid-day jokes etc. If I asked about one thing, the reply would only be about that one thing. Soon, we stopped talking. It kinda got to a point where it would be a waste of energy to strive and revive the spark we used to have in the first place. I found out later after a bit of stalking on Facebook, that he was 'in a relationship' with another girl. The girl had this damsel-in-distress vibe going on from the look of her profile picture. Y'know, the manja kind. Yeah, so totally not me (this opens up another topic worthy of a post of its own).
The following screen capture of an excerpt from Victoria's post sums up what I'm trying to say:
To make it worse, I never got a closure text/e-mail/phone call from the guy. At least Victoria got an explanation for the silence/disappearance.
1 comment:
dinie!! i never knew about this guy..& it is sad what had happened to you.
guys are like that you know, they talked to us, texted us, making us feel special & sometimes they knew it but they just ignore it.
i'm sorry this happened to u...but i know u'll deserve a better guy...
okay? it gets better, I'll tell ya.
Post a Comment