Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Of Lactobacillus plantarum and Hope For A Better America (And World)

Give a common example of microbial species used for making each of the following:

a) Dairy product

Err. Lactobacillus thermophilus? Or 'something'-acidophilus? Aarghh.

Do you hear me, I'm talking to you.
Across the water across the deep blue ocean,
Under the open sky
oh my, baby I'm trying
..

I think it's L. thermophilus.

b) Cheese

It's Streptococcus-'something'. Streptococcus-'something'-is.
I know I know it, but I can't seem to remember what !

I hate it when that happens.. :(

Boy I hear you in my dreams
I feel your whisper across the sea
I keep you with me in my heart
You make it easier when life gets hard


c) Soy sauce

Ahhh. This is easy. Aspergillus oryzae! Next!

I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again


d) Vinegar

Are you kidding me? Everyone knows this. There's only one in the class notes.
It's Acetobacter aceti.

They don't know how long it takes
Waiting for a love like this


e) Fermented meats

Lactobacillus plantarum. Yes. I think that's it. Right?

I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again
I'm lucky we're in love in every way
Lucky to have stayed where we have stayed
Lucky to be coming home someday..



The blue lines my friend, is the song that's stuck in my head for the whole 2-hour Environmental Microbiology paper.

That's what happens if you do your last-hour revising with headphones plugged into your ears and the volume's turned up, way up.


**********


On a more newsworthy-note, Obama wins.
I'm relieved Bush is no longer in-charge, he's done too much damage when he's the top guy.



The election is over, we're now in the waiting/observing phase. Can the first black American president keep his words?




When's our next pilihanraya?




SAYA MAHU MENGUNDI!

No comments: