Wednesday, March 23, 2011

In The Face of Calamity..

.. Japan showed us the best example on how to react and what to do. They are a strong, disciplined bunch (they queued up for rations for God's sake!). Resilient. Compassionate.

Screen capture of this blog; found out via this blog


While I was blog-hopping, I came across 'Heartwarming Japan Earthquake Twitter Stories' on Along's blog. I've seen the link about the stories on Twitter before, but I don't know why I've never bothered to click and read it. Now that I've read the stories, I wished I've read them sooner. Maybe it's the PMS talking, maybe I'm actually really soft inside. But the stories really made me cry. Imagine, your colleagues were having their breakfast at their desks, and they heard sobbing from the next cubicle. The stories just tore at my heart, especially the above.

Can Malaysians persevere if such adversity strikes us out of the blue? Are we compassionate enough to give out free food and drinks to random strangers if Malaysia is situated in the Pacific Ring of Fire and an earthquake-triggered tsunami occur? Would we turn off our lights and switch off our TVs so as to channel the electricity to help our fellow citizens in the affected areas? Are we willing to give rides to stranded strangers so they could go back to their families?

The nuclear crisis in the Fukushima Prefecture does not help to paint a rosy picture for them. What I learned in Radiology during uni made so much more sense, now that a Chernobyl-like incident might be occurring right this very second. Having said all that, suddenly my daily concerns seem so trivial compared to what Japan is facing right now :(

I've never donated via online means before (most charities prefer credit/debit cards donation), but now that I'm working and I've worked out how to use my Maybankard Visa debit card for online purchases, I participated in helping the affected individuals in Japan. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Federations (IFRC) in collaboration with Groupon Malaysia is having a donation drive, where "all donations will be matched Ringgit-for-Ringgit".



Just log-in using your Facebook account, and follow the instructions. You could also donate via online bank transfer!

Let's help our friends in Japan. Every single compassionate act counts!

No comments: